VirtueMart Reviews, VirtueMart Vs. Magento
Are you planning to use VirtueMart to design an e-commerce website? Okay. Here I’d like to bring some useful information about VirtueMart e-commerce software. VirtueMart is an Open Source E-Commerce solution to be used together with a Content Management System (CMS) called Joomla! With it’s a fully featured eCommerce Engine VirtueMart is perfect to sell your Goods online and drive your Business to new Heights. Despite being Open Source Software it powers large Online Shops providing the Performance, Usability and Security you expect from professional Software.
Magento is the eCommerce software platform for growth that promises to revolutionize the industry. The first Magento commerce software was launched on March 31, 2008. Till present, Magento has become one of the most popular e-commerce applications in the industry.
VirtueMart Newest Version: VM 1.1.4 stable
Magento Newest Version: Enterprise Edition Version 1.7
- Shoppers can manage their User Accounts (registration required)
- Shipping Address Management (Customers can enter their own Shipping Addresses)
- Order History: Shopper can view all their previous Orders (and Order Details)
- Order Confirmation Mail (customizable!) is sent to Shopper and Store Owner
- Multiple Currencies (you can allow Customers to change the Currency and buy using an alternative Currency)
- Quick Search for Products, Categories and Manufacturers; filter by features or discounted Products
- Product Ratings & Testimonials (moderated or auto-published)
- Feature specific Products by setting them “on special”
- Product Availability: show how fast a Customer can expect delivery
- Handles downloadable Products (virtual Goods)
- “Product is back in Stock”-Notification for subscribed Customers
- Flexible Price Display (number & currency formatting; including or excluding tax)
- On-the-Fly Price Conversion between different Currencies using Live Rates from the ECB or other banks
- Shop Statistics / Control Panel with a Summary of new Customers, new Orders….
- Stock Level Control for Products and Item
- Order Management with Order History, Customer Notification and Order Edit Functionality
- Basic Reporting Feature: sold Items, monthly/yearly Revenue
- Order Status Management
- Manage different Currencies, Countries & States
- Capable of live Credit Card Processing
- Pre-defined Payment Gateways like authorize.net®, PayPal, 2Checkout, eWay, Worldpay, PayMate and NoChex
- Extend your Shop with other Payment Modules using the Payment Module API!
- Flexible Shipping Carriers and Rates Configuration
- Live-Shipping Rates using Shipping Modules (e.g. InterShipper, UPS, USPS, FedEx or Canada Post; Modules can use the Shipping Rate API).
- Extend your Shop with other Shipping Modules using the Shipping Module API!
VirtueMart Vs. Magento – Who’s better?
As you see, there are much more users are using Magento commerce software at the moment. Can you say, Magento is better than VirtueMart software? Okay, I’ve tried to install both of the 2 e-commerce softwares to check further. I found Magento has much more functions than VirtueMart and Magento is easier to get start with. Whatever, VirtueMart has its own advantages, it’s one plugin of Joomla CMS and if you’ve had one website designed by Joomla and need to add shopping cart features, I think it’s better to use VirtueMart. And if you’d like to design a separate shopping cart website completely, then I think you can get start with Magento first. Why? As you see, there are many free Magento themes than VirtueMart, I think it’s difficult to design website theme self for most of the website owners. And if you choose to get start with Magento, you can use free templates or purchase some special templates easily.
VirtueMart Installation Requirements:
- Apache 1.3.x or above
- recommended: Apache 2.2.x
- MySQL 3.23.x or above recommended: MySQL 5.0.x
- PHP 4.2.x or above
- recommended: PHP 5.2.x
- Joomla! 1.0.x or Mambo >= 4.6.2: recommended: Joomla! 1.0.x
VirtueMart Hosting – Who’s best?
If you’d like to use VirtueMart or Magento to open a new e-commerce website, you need to search for a reliable web hosting who can support the features first. We’ve tested the VirtueMart on many different web hosting platforms and we found there are 2 web hosting companies who’re the most reliable – Arvixe Vs. HostGator!
- Arvixe is a featured e-commerce web hosting service provider and they can support Windows & Linux web servers. Arvixe offers unlimited disk space and monthly bandwidth in the shared hosting plans, their web hosting plans starts from $4.00/Month. And they can support monthly payment, this is a special feature which is different with other hosting companies.
- HostGator is one of the largest e-commerce web hosting providers. Till present, HostGator is serving for more than 250,000,000 domain names on their servers. HostGator shared web hosting plan starts from $4.95/Month.