Zen Cart Review, Zen Cart Vs. osCommerce
As we all know, Zen Cart & osCommerce are the 2 most popular e-commerce software for the business developers. Before you open a new business website, choosing a good e-commerce software is very important. Here I’d like to compare the 2 most popular and having largest users’ e-commerce applications – Zen Cart Vs. osCommerce. If you’re interested in, welcome to follow me on Twitter, thanks!
What’s Zen Cart?
Zen Cart™ is an open source e-commerce application written in PHP and using MySQL database. For more information on the project, features, etc. Zen Cart™ was originally based on osCommerce code from June 2003 and has undergone rapid development since that time. It has released three major point releases, and over a dozen minor point releases. The current release is 1.3.8.
osCommerce is an online shop e-commerce solution that offers a wide range of out-of-the-box features that allows online stores to be setup fairly quickly with ease, and is available for free as an Open Source based solution released under the GNU General Public License. osCommerce was started in March 2000 and has since matured to a solution that is currently powering 11,530 registered live shops around the world. The success of osCommerce is secured by a great and active community where members help one another out and participate in development issues reflecting upon the current state of the project.
Zen Cart Features:
- Works on the popular combination of PHP and MySQL technologies.
- Secure – no one but your administrative personnel can access your customer/catalog data.
- Easy to install – our helpful installation program guides you easily through the setup process.
- User front end is validated to XHTML 1.0 Transitional.
- Advanced template system using style sheets and images.
- Any PHP coding changes can be protected during upgrades by using the built-in override protection system.
- Built in WYSIWYG page editor for modifying non-database pages.
- Advertising banners – show information about your business colleagues and track banner link activity. Banners can open in new windows so that customers never really leave your site.
- Meta tags keywords and descriptions can be controlled at the per-product level, all from the administrative interface.
- Developers toolkit helps quickly locate a setting or text string to be customized.
- Shipping options – multiple carriers are supported, including hold for pickup, free delivery in an area, and most major carriers and postal services.
- Customer access control – you can set up your shop to only allow customers access to pricing or pricing but not buying until after being authorized by an administrator. You can restrict them from browsing at all too, if desired.
- Automatic detection of search engine spiders.
- Intelligent generation of meta tags content for search engines.
- All features enabled by default for a complete out-of-the-box solution
- Object oriented backend (3.0)
- Completely multilingual with English, German, and Spanish provided by default
- Compatible with all PHP 4 versions
- Administration area secured with a username and password defined during installation
- Contact customers directly via email or newsletters
- Easily backup and restore the database
- Print invoices and packaging lists from the order screen
- Statistics for products and customers
- All orders stored in the database for fast and efficient retrieval
- Customers can view their order history and order statuses
- Customers can maintain their accounts
- Dynamic product attributes relationship
- HTML based product descriptions
- Automated display of specials
- Control if out of stock products can still be shown and are available for purchase
- Customers can subscribe to products to receive related emails/newsletters
- Flexible tax implementation on a state and country basis
- Set different tax rates for different products
- Charge tax on shipping on a per shipping service basis
- Weight, price, and destination based shipping modules
- Real-time quotes available (UPS, USPS, FedEx, ..)
- Free shipping based on amount and destination
Live Shop Showcases:
Zen Cart Vs. osCommerce – Who’s Better?
Both Zen Cart & osCommerce are open source shopping cart applications! At present, there are much more websites are using Zen Cart e-commerce software. I’ve tried to install Zen Cart Vs. osCommerce on my shopping cart website, I found Zen Cart is having more features than osCommerce, you can see this is my Zen cart website “www.nopShopping.com”. Zen cart is very easy to get start with and it can support multiple languages.
Can you recommend a reliable web hosting for Zen Cart Vs. osCommerce?
If you’d like to open an e-commerce website with Zen Cart, you need to search for a reliable web hosting who can support Zen cart. We’ve reviewed numerous web hosting companies and here I’d like to deliver the best web hosting for Zen Cart – Arvixe Vs. HostGator.
- Arvixe web solution is a reliable eCommerce web hosting service provider! Arvixe e-commerce web hosting includes unlimited disk space, unlimited monthly data transfer, multiple websites hosted, unlimited MySQL databases.. free domain name, free website builder, free zen cart installation, 24/7 professional zen cart support team and you can use coupon code “Magento30” to save 30% cost immediately.
- HostGator is one of the largest e-commerce web hosting service provider! HostGator is currently serving over 2,500,000 domain names. HostGator shared web hosting includes unlimited storage, unlimited monthly bandwidth, more than 4,500 free website templates.. HostGator is a very good web hosting for small business and individual websites owner and you can use coupon code “TWITTER” to save 20% cost instantly.
Zen Cart is running better on the Linux operation system, so we recommend you can sign up a Linux web hosting to host your business websites.
Zen Cart Installation System Requirement:
- Supported Operating Systems: Linux x86, x86-64, Windows 2003 / 2008
- Supported Web Servers: Apache 1.3.x, Apache 2.0.x, Apache 2.2.x, IIS Manager
- PHP Compatibility: PHP4.x / 5.x
- MySQL: 4.1.20 or Newer
Zen Cart Vs. osCommerce Resources:
- Zen-Cart E-commerce Solution – Free shopping cart e-commerce software by Zen Cart. Put your business online and accept payments securely.
- osCommerce Shopping Cart Solution – osCommerce is an open source Online Shop E-Commerce Solutions! osCommerce is a free online shop program featuring order history, shopping carts, full search capability,.
- Zen-Cart Vs. osCommerce Comparison – Visit Eukhost.com forum to check the comparison of Zen Cart Vs. osCommerce shopping cart – Find out which is the best shopping cart for the web master.
- Zen-Cart Templates – Zen-Cart templates are divided into several categories which help visitors while visiting the page. Zen-Cart templates have the following requirements: PHP 4.3.2 or higher (if you want to have optimal performance.
- osCommerce Templates – osCommerce Templates are ready-made solutions to use for on-line shops.